Yoga, found 5000 years ago as a slow and patient method of connecting with the divine has transitioned to a global phenomenon. This sacred art has found mentions in the Hindu Vedas, especially the Rigveda. Over a period of time, this art underwent a lot of transformation with the help of yoga gurus and teachers. The five basic principles of a successful yoga practice include good exercise, clean diet, proper breathing, relaxation, and daily meditation.
A major benefit that yoga helps people with is losing weight. Although yoga poses are a bit slow and require patience, but these work on an internal level rather than just the external. In other words, the powerful yoga for weight loss works on the issues leading to a sudden weight gain.
Keeping the last statement in mind, let us find out how good yoga is for weight loss.
Is Yoga Good For Weight Loss?
The numerous yogic techniques and methods have helped thousands of people lose weight. There are many skeptics that believe yoga does not contributes to weight loss. However, unless you are not following a good diet and proper exercise, no workout can help you with weight loss. Similar is the case with yoga.
You need to stick to a clean diet and regular practice in order to yoga help you lose weight and keep your mind and body healthy. Moreover, yoga also improves your mindfulness and how you relate to your body. In other words, you kick out the junk and start adopting a healthy diet for getting rid of those extra pounds.
Apart from helping you lose weight, yoga also has numerous other benefits like;
- Improved flexibility and respiration
- Increased energy and vitality
- Weight Loss
- Minimizes Stress & Anxiety
- Improved muscle tone
The next question that is commonly asked by many of those looking to lose weight is – How often should I do yoga? Read further to know the answer.
How Often Should I Do Yoga?
Yoga experts recommend that you should do yoga as often as possible. You can start an active and more intense yoga practice for one hour at least 3 to 5 times in a week. Some days, you can also inculcate a little bit of restorative and relaxing yoga poses.
However, if you are a beginner to yoga then do try to search for a certified yoga school and join their yoga training program. For example, you can enroll in the 500 hour yoga teacher training program to learn the best yoga poses for weight loss.
With that said, let us now check out the yoga poses which you should do to get rid of that extra fat.
Yoga Poses To Help You Lose Weight
Yoga has been a part of numerous cultures and religions around the world. One of the major benefits of daily yoga practice is weight loss.
Keeping the above statement in mind, given below are three yoga poses to help you lose weight.
1. Sun Salutations
Make sure you do at least 10 sun salutations. You can increase the intensity of this yoga pose by holding onto the position for longer periods of time and increasing the pace of transition.
- Stand on the yoga mat in the normal position.
- Inhale. Lift your arms overhead.
- Walk your feet back into the Plank Pose.
- Hold this pose for 5 deep breaths.
- Drop your knees and lower your body to the floor.
- Extend your legs. Turn the top of your feet to the mat.
- Place your hands under your shoulders.
- Inhale and lift your upper body into the Cobra Pose.
- Exhale. Lower back down and push into the Downward Dog Pose.
- Hold this pose for at least 5 deep breaths.
- Exhale. Bring your feet to the top of the mat and come to the Forward Bend Pose.
- Inhale. Lift up your arms overhead.
- Exhale. Lower your arms by your body.
2. Plank Pose
You should do the Plank Pose for at least 20 minutes. It is one of the most powerful yoga for weight loss asanas you can practice without much hassle.
- Get into a tabletop position on the yoga mat.
- Step your feet back and lift both heels.
- Bring your body into a straight line.
- Engage your core, arm, and leg muscles.
- Hold this position for at least one minute.
3. Boat Pose
The most powerful yoga pose when it comes to losing stomach fat is the Boat Pose. Make sure you engage your core muscles. Boat Pose also helps in alleviating stress.
- Sit on the yoga mat. Keep your legs together and extended in front of you.
- Bend your knees and lift your feet off the floor.
- Make sure your thighs are at an angle to the floor.
- Also, keep your shins parallel to the floor.
- Straighten your legs and lift your torso.
- Hold this position for at least 30 seconds.
Do you want to get rid of those love handles? It is time you inculcate these powerful yoga for weight loss asanas to burn that extra fat.